Featured post

MORINGA: THE MIRACLE TREE OF OUR CENTURY

Moringa, sometimes described as the “miracle tree,” “drumstick tree,” or “horseradish tree,” has small, rounded leaves that are packed wit...

Friday 13 February 2015

Val's day: Celebrate it in an unusual way!



It's here again, it rolls in and out every year. What else could I be talking about on February 14? It's St. Valentine's day! Another season of love. The Val's day has been bastardized and abused by many of us out there by misconstruing it to be a day set aside mostly for romance and acts of immorality, but that is not my main focus this day.

My focus today shall be on the less privileged in our society. We see these people everyday yet we turn our backs to their pleas of mercy and cries for help. Many of us often forget to be grateful for what we have but become ungrateful for the things we wished we had. How sad!

In this sobriety of heart, I was pondering on what to write on a day like this for my dear esteemed readers. Fortunately, I stumbled on a friend's post on Instagram that completely expresses my concerns, defines the essence of this love feast amidst the myriads of challenges plaguing our nation and continent as a whole. Impoverishment, famine, hunger, corruption, child kidnappings, terrorism, civil unrest just to mention a few. How then should we celebrate Valentine this season?

Below is my friend's post that truly enunciates my opinion of this year,s Valentine...

"Yet girls will be crying for iPhone 6. Cry that you didn't get an LV bag for Val's. Cry that you got a B and not an A in some course. Cry that your friend drives a car and you don't. Cry because your girl left you. We cry for the wrongest reasons... I legit had tears in my eyes when I saw this pic. All we do is complain about what we don't have. Smh, you don't know how good you have it. No matter how tough it is for you, would you say you don't have it better than this woman and her poor baby? I got on my knees and cried to God for forgiveness, for every time I have complained and been ungrateful. I know where I'm spending my valentines day now, and it's not with any woman anywhere. It's at the Orphanage. Those are the people that need my love and my gifts".

Dear reader, those were the exact words of Sodimu Babajide ( an entrepreneur and personal friend, IG @kacksbysodi). He has succinctly expressed the true essence of valentine. Please I implore you to be grateful for what you have right now, life is beautiful. You might not spend your day at the orphanage as my friend and I would do on Val's day but you can make it worthwhile by showing love to the less privileged in your neighborhood. Used or new clothes, money, food materials, an act of kindness and respect, simple gift that could mean so much to another and many more! 

Make more out of St. Valentine's day than you ever did! I'd love to read from you. Have a lovely Val celebrations!

Oke Oluwatimilehin
Email: Okeflex360@yahoo.com
BB PIN: 7F4B734D
BB CHANNEL: C001C7A18
Twitter: @timi0301
Instagram: @timi0301

No comments:

Post a Comment